Tuesday, August 7, 2012

All I need to do is Love

We heard their car in the driveway as he stuck the last few dishes in the sink. My stomach jumped as I thought about how this might go. We had never done this before.

When they walked in I oped out of a hand shake and went right for a hug. It just felt right. He looked surprised but smiled with appreciation. He extended his hand to him and introduced himself but without even looking at him he said "My hands are wet so, I won't shake your hand."  That pit in my stomach grew. Maybe this was a bad idea. It was so far out of our comfort zone. But then, like the man I knew and fell in love with, he washed the last dish. He turned and dried his hands and with a big smile he shook his hand and introduced himself.

In that moment I felt the love of God like never before for someone else. After all didn't Jesus spend all his time with sinners and the least of these? My life had been so much about spending time with the saints and Pharisees that I never knew what it meant to really love like Jesus. To Love those who it is hard to Love.

Jesus love looked so different then what it is portrayed as now in our religious pharisee society. We play judges and hit our gavels down hard on the heads of those who just want love. We speak when we only need to just be present. We argue when we need only to just love. After all God has not called us to judge but to Love.

Now I sit here and wonder why it took me so long to get to this place of Love. The place where God changes lives and I need only to Love them. This place where Jesus saves and I need only to Love them. What a weight that has  now been lifted off my shoulders realizing really all I need to do is Love! Love covers a multitude of sins after all doesn't it?
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment